Ephesians 6:13-17

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Sunday, October 31, 2010





I looked out the window the other day and had to grab my camera to capture this sweet moment....I wasn't exactly sure at the time what they were looking at, or what they were saying, but they just looked so cute, I had to snap a few shots. I later found out that they were looking at the clouds and spotting "shapes" of all different things.
This was a refreshing moment in the midst of the many challenges we have faced with Hailu the past 2 weeks.
His sadness and frustration is coming out in many negative ways now.....sarcasm, greed, disrespect...he is argumentative, moody, and just simply hard to be around sometimes. It is such a comfort to me to know that ALL of this is completely normal and that many other parents have been through the same thing (some, even worse!).......and that it WILL get better. So many different emotions are flowing through me throughout the day and it is so draining.
November 11th

I started this post on the 31st of October, and I am just now getting back to finish......
I am pleased to say that things have gotten so much better in the past couple of weeks. I had some long talks with a few friends that gave me such encouragement and good advice! Thanks Shannon, Ajay and Misiker! These pep-talks gave me the boost I needed to really get cracking on some discipline and adjustments in how I approached Hailu. The fact that he is really learning english well is helping also! Now when we have a discussion about his attitude or his behavior, he actually is understanding. Our days are not without challenges.....but the difference now, is that I am ending the day feeling like much has been accomplished, instead of feeling defeated and discouraged.
Hailu had an episode on Sunday evening that gave Mike a clear picture of the attitude I am dealing with on a daily basis while he is at work. As stressful as it was, I can now look back and thank the Lord for this opportunity for Mike to be involved in the correction and instruction right then and there.....instead of after the fact. I let him handle it all, and he did an amazing job with it! The next morning, Hailu woke up very apprehensive to face me.....he and Mike had settled things, but he was unsure about my feelings still. I immediately approached him as soon as he finally came downstairs, and after a short discussion, he told me that he was sorry....I told him that I forgave him and that I loved him....and that it was now finished.....a new day, let's move on...... Well, ever since then, I can't even count the amount of times he hugs me tightly during the day and tells me he loves me! I am not sure if it is his way of saying he is really sorry, or if he is finally realizing that we actually do love him. All I do know is that he is obviously has had something in his mind and heart change. He is trying so hard to have a good attitude during our school day, and is happy to let me make the choices now. He may not always like my choice, but he hasn't been arguing it.
I really feel like in so many ways he is like a toddler, and then he has a side of him that is so mature. I think this has been why it has been so hard to figure out how to approach and discipline each issue. He doesn't remember ever having parents, so we are his first experience with this. There are so many things that we are having to teach him, that we taught Isaac when he was 2 or 3 years old. He has had discipline his whole life.....but it is obvious that he hasn't had the instruction and love behind that discipline. He is testing the waters and today was no exception to that, but with God's help I am ending each day feeling positive and looking forward to tomorrow, instead of dreading it.
On to some fun stuff, before I end this post. Last week I tried to make injera for the first time....The photo and video will speak for themselves. I am not going to give up! Hailu was so sweet and he encouraged me to practice....he said that all the ladies in Ethiopia had to practice! I think he really appreciated me trying. After I took that video, he came in and told me again that I did so good and that maybe I just need a good pan to cook it in.....ha ha.....I think that he may be right.....yes, I will blame it on the pan!

Last exciting tidbit.....Hailu has begun to get his teeth fixed!! Long story short, the Lord provided this wonderful dentist that has a huge heart for adoption and for Hailu. He is going to bond Hailu's top six teeth and fill his cavities for an unbelievably low amount of money! It is truly a gift from God, and we are so thankful and happy for Hailu. He got his front two teeth done on Tuesday....he sat in the chair for 2 hours, he even got novocaine....and he didn't complain once! Those two teeth look beautiful! He looks a bit like a bunny right now, ha ha because they stand out so much amongst the other teeth, but I can see that when the others are done, he is going to have a gorgeous smile. I told my sister-in-law the other day, that as happy as I am for him, it kind of makes me a little sad too....I had gotten used to that sweet smile just the way it was and it almost became endearing to me. That was HIM......he was already my handsome little guy! Fixing these teeth is totally for him and I can see that he is SO happy, so I am glad that we are doing it. We go back on Tuesday again.....hopefully the final 4 will be done then. I will post photos afterwards.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you in some way. I owe you a dinner (or four), that I could bring by one day if you wanted to relax around dinner time? I love the pictures of the boys looking at the clouds-precious! Hang in there, I'm praying for you guys~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet Lauren....You don't owe me a thing! Your love and support and prayers are all I need! You have your own crew to focus on! What would be great is just a day of chatting with a friend while the kids are busy playing. You can come over any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You keep making that injera, Mama!! Something tells me that the will in you will not only conquer that recipe, but will make it even more picturesque on the next serving platter! Hailu will always remember you wanting to please him in love, discipline AND Ethiopian foods!!

    Keep going, Mama!!!!

    ReplyDelete