Ephesians 6:13-17

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Why do we adopt children?

I will admit, that yes, our very first reason for adopting was a selfish one.....we wanted another child, and a brother for our son.  I am not going to say that this reason was a wrong one, but after what God has taught us over the past 11 months, I WILL say that if this was our only goal and our only motivation, we WOULD be in the wrong, and I can assume that in the future we might end up disappointed and feeling as if there was something still missing.
We have been very fortunate to meet several people during this adoption process that have impacted our lives and our thinking greatly!  All of them for different reasons.....whether it was a positive encounter or a negative one, God has used each and every one of them to bring us to the place that we are today.  For this I am so greatful!
I can't pretend to even imagine what it is going to be like when our son is finally home with us.  We have talked about all the "what if's" over and over......we talk about the worst case scenerios and the hope for the best case scenerios too.  I realize that we really don't know exactly how we will feel when he is actually here and a part of our family, and how things will change for us.  When I hear the stories about families that have opened their hearts and homes to these children, and in return they have days filled with grief, stress and misery that they absolutely didn't expect, it makes me a little worried about our future.  Maybe worried isn't the right word, maybe just curious....because I can honestly say that I feel confident that we will be able to handle whatever the Lord brings our way as long as we rely on Him for our strength....as Paul says in Phillipians 4:13~I can do everything through him who gives me strength! 
This topic sparked a conversation between my husband and I that left me feeling thankful once again for the way God has been working in my husband's heart.  I asked Mike if he was prepared to "not like" our child, or to feel disgusted with him and not want to be around him.  This is a common thing that I am hearing many new adoptive parents struggle with lately.  He answered that he was, and that he is very aware that we have no idea what is ahead of us and that it is a risk that he is absolutely willing to take.  He then said, "Besides, I am not doing this for me, I am doing this for the Lord, and for "( our son's name )"."  He went on to say, that if this is what we know God has called us to do, we will do it to the best of our ability for Him......it isn't about us.  We both agreed that we are hoping that God blesses us with a little gem of a child :) but we also agreed that we will love him and choose to be the best parents we can to him even if he is not.  To hear Mike say these things was such a relief to me.  Mike doesn't usually like "change", especially when things are going well....and to know that God has prepared his heart in this way makes me feel like I am  going to burst with joy!  
So to go back to the title of this post,  "Why do we adopt children".....I would say that this is a good question for anyone who has adopted or is thinking of adopting, to ask themselves.  As with anything in life, if we are seeking to be fulfilled by anything but Christ or if our motivation behind something is ultimately selfish, we are going to constantly feel like something is not right or something is missing, and possibly hurt others in the process.  Only when we truly seek Him with our whole hearts will we be able to see clearly what He would have us do or be a part of.  ~Jeremiah 29:13  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
This adoption is an act of obedience to what we know God would have us do... something we can't ignore.  I am so greatful that He has given us the opportunity to do something so wonderful for Him, and that he is also blessing us with the desire of our hearts...another child, and a brother for Isaac! 

No comments:

Post a Comment